A fanblog. My name is Alex and I have lots of Spartacus thoughts. I lead a Barca Appreciation Life; also expect lots of queer stuff, ladies, and queer ladies.
I feel like I talk about this all the time, but I’m just… really impressed at how many boundaries the Spartacus writers managed to push with Barca.
- Queer man of color
- Unabashedly badass
- Slightly villainous, without his queerness being a source of villainy (in fact, his relationship being one of the most moral and relatable things about him)
- An equal-power relationship with a similarly “masculine” man, because queer relationships don’t have to fit to heteronormative standards
- An imbalanced and protective relationship with a more delicate man, because heteronormative relationships are not inherently bad
- Said imbalanced relationship does not serve to make him the cold or emotionless seme; on the contrary, he is shown as being scared of losing his lover’s disapproval (and, by extension, him)
- Fully fleshed-out back story
- Had his own, clearly defined, motivations and storyline
Barca Appreciation Life, over here. Forever.